Volunteer Classes Hero

Volunteer Classes

Volunteers need food safety training too, if they are serving food.

Volunteer permits are for food handlers that aren’t receiving pay for work performed but still need a permit to work. Non-profit groups can call Food Protection Services at 918-595-4300 and request to speak with the Food Safety Training Coordinator OR take the FREE volunteer class online.

Online Training 

The time that it takes to complete the volunteer training course online varies. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the course. Upon completion of the course, you will be able to print your volunteer permit.  The volunteer permit must be available whenever working in volunteer capacity.  There is no cost to complete THD’s online volunteer training.

In-person Training

We encourage volunteers to use the online training above but will arrange to teach a free in-person volunteer class for non-profit organizations who request it. The organization must have 100+ people in attendance to schedule an in-person class that will last approximately one hour and cover basic food safety activities. The volunteer cards will then be presented to those that attended at the end of the class and the cards are valid for one calendar year. When the volunteer card expires, the volunteer worker must retake the class either online or another group training will need to be scheduled. 

This training is intended for volunteers only and volunteer permits are not for food employee positions. For more information or to schedule a volunteer class, call 918-595-4300 and ask for the Food Safety Training Coordinator.

Applicant Verification Requirements

State law requires that all license, permit, or certificate applicants verify their immigration status (lawful presence).  As a result, anyone attending a food handler class or applying for a manager's certificate from the Tulsa Health Department must sign a statement that they are either (1) a United States citizen, or (2) a qualified alien under the federal Immigration & Nationality Act and are lawfully present in the United States.